University of Auckland Lecture Series on Magna Carta: week beginning 6th July
The University of Auckland hosted a week long lecture series with talks on the Magna Carta, organised by Dr Stephen Winter from Politics and International Relations, who is an expert in justice, rights and democracy.
Contained in the pages link below are videos and transcripts for the lectures of each night.
- Monday 6 July Magna Carta & the Kiwi Constitution: Chief Justice Dame Sian Elias, Dr Lindsay Diggelmann, Senior Lecturer – History – University of Auckland; Hon. Judith Collins, Member of Parliament; Chaired by Dr Stephen Winter, University of Auckland.
- Tuesday 7 July The Māori Magna Carta – Waitangi and Beyond: Hon. Chris Finlayson, Attorney-General (read by Simon O’Connor, Member of Parliament); Isaac Hikaka, LeeSalmonLong Barristers and Solicitors; Judge Carrie Wainwright, Waitangi Tribunal; Chaired by Dr Lisa Chant, Senior Lecturer, Interprofessional Health Studies, AUT.
- Wednesday 8 July Magna Carta Online – Security and Privacy in the Digital Age: Howard Broad, CNZM, Deputy Chief Executive, Security and Intelligence, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet; Joy Liddicoat, Assistant Privacy Commissioner; Martin Crocker, Executive Director, NetSafe. Chaired by Rod Oram, journalist.
- Thurs 9 July Magna Carta Beyond the Commonwealth: Migration and Refugees: Grant Bayldon, Director – Amnesty International; Michael White, Senior Legal and Policy Analyst, Human Rights Commission; Andrew Lockhart, National Manager – Refugee and Protection Unit – Immigration NZ; Chair by Dr Anita Lacey, University of Auckland.
- Friday 10 July Magna Carta – Visions for the Future: Andrew Little, Leader of the Labour Party; Patrick Reilly, Acting British High Commissioner; Dr Chris Jones, Senior Lecturer in History, University of Canterbury; Johanna McDavitt, Justspeak. Dr Stephen Winter, University of Auckland.
Location: University of Auckland Business School/Owen G Glenn Building: 12 Grafton Rd, Auckland 1010.